It’s easy to assume that insurance companies don’t want you to look for a cheaper policy. Consumers who get price comparisons are likely to switch to a new company because they have good chances of finding better rates. A recent survey revealed that consumers who make a habit of shopping around saved an average of $865 a year as compared to drivers who don’t regularly compare prices.
If finding the cheapest price on car insurance in Fort Wayne is your intention, then having some insight into how to get rate quotes and compare insurance can make it easier to find better rates.
The recommended way to get discount car insurance rates in Fort Wayne is to start doing a yearly price comparison from insurance carriers that insure vehicles in Indiana.
- First, read about how your policy works and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that result in higher prices like traffic violations, accidents, and a negative credit rating can be controlled by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Second, compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies.
- Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy premium to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a lower rate quote and switch companies, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Fourth, provide adequate notice to your current company of your intention to cancel your current policy and submit a signed application and payment to the new company. Once the application is submitted, keep the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in an easily accessible location.
A key point to remember is to make sure you’re comparing similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to get prices from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this guarantees a level playing field and a complete price analysis.
If you have a current auto insurance policy, you will definitely be able to get lower rates using the techniques covered below. Buying the cheapest auto insurance in Fort Wayne is actually quite easy if you know where to start. Although Indiana vehicle owners benefit from understanding how big insurance companies price insurance differently because rates are impacted by many factors.
Auto insurance providers offering cheap rates in Indiana
The companies shown below are ready to provide free rate quotes in Fort Wayne, IN. If you wish to find cheap car insurance in Fort Wayne, we suggest you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
Lower rates by qualifying for these six discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Some discounts will apply when you complete an application, but some may not be applied and must be manually applied in order for you to get them. If you don’t get every credit possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government could qualify for a slight premium decrease with a few insurance companies.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not necessarily a discount, but some companies like GEICO and Liberty Mutual allow you one accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven’t had any claims prior to being involved in the accident.
- Mature Driver Discount – Drivers over the age of 55 may qualify for a slight reduction on a Fort Wayne car insurance quote.
- Onboard Data Collection – Fort Wayne drivers who agree to allow data collection to spy on where and when they drive by using a telematic data system such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could save a few bucks if they are good drivers.
- Life Insurance – Larger companies have lower prices if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Early Signing – A few larger companies offer discounts for signing up prior to the expiration date on your current Montego insurance policy. The savings is around 10%.
A little note about advertised discounts, some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like you could get a free insurance policy, that’s just not realistic.
Car insurance companies that may offer quotes with these discounts include:
Double check with each company or agent how many discounts you can get. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be offered in Fort Wayne.
When in doubt talk to an agent
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s and your auto insurance should unique, too.
Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining whether or not you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- How do I buy GAP insurance?
- How can I get my company to pay me more for my totaled car?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- If my car is totaled with they pay enough to replace it?
- Is my teenager covered with friends in the car?
- Does rental coverage apply when I am renting a car?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you might consider talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
Local Fort Wayne auto insurance agents
Some people prefer to talk to an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is you can get better rates and still choose a local agent.
After filling out this short form, your information is emailed to local insurance agents that can provide free Fort Wayne car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no reason to contact an agency because prices are sent immediately to you. You’ll get the best rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If for some reason you want to compare rates for a specific company, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
Choosing an insurer requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Is there a local claims center in Fort Wayne?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Fort Wayne?
Exclusive or Independent: There is a difference
When researching a good Fort Wayne insurance agent, it’s important to understand the different agency structures and how they are distinctly different. Agents can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Agents that elect to be exclusive have only one company to place business with like State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. These agents are not able to provide prices from multiple companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agents receive a lot of sales training on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage.
Shown below are Fort Wayne exclusive insurance agencies that are able to give price quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These type of agents are not limited to a single company so they can quote policies with multiple insurance companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can switch companies and that require little work on your part. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you definitely need to compare quotes from multiple independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Listed below are independent agencies in Fort Wayne that are able to give price quotes.
Real Estate Agents Health Insurance Direct
8411 Clinton Park Dr – Fort Wayne, IN 46825 – (855) 343-7344 – View Map
Auto insurance coverages
Understanding the coverages of your policy can help you determine the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Car insurance terms can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring. These are typical coverage types offered by car insurance companies.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Mercury Montego.
Since many Indiana drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (Indiana limits are 25/50/10), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Liability coverage can cover damage that occurs to other people or property that is your fault. This coverage protects you against claims from other people. Liability doesn’t cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see liability limits of 25/50/10 that translate to a limit of $25,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and $10,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against things such as structural damage, pain and suffering and funeral expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Indiana requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/10 but drivers should carry better liability coverage.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying minimum limits may not provide you with enough coverage.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for bills for things like doctor visits, ambulance fees and EMT expenses. They are often utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you do not have health coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is only offered in select states and may carry a deductible
Comprehensive insurance covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like vandalism, hail damage and rock chips in glass. The highest amount your car insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision insurance pays for damage to your Montego resulting from a collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as sustaining damage from a pot hole, hitting a parking meter, driving through your garage door, colliding with a tree and crashing into a building. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are older. Another option is to increase the deductible on your Montego to bring the cost down.
We’ve covered quite a bit of information on how to get a better price on Mercury Montego insurance in Fort Wayne. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better likelihood of getting affordable Fort Wayne car insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the best price on auto insurance is with the least-expected company. Some small companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don’t be tempted to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In too many instances, someone dropped physical damage coverage and learned later they didn’t have enough coverage. Your focus should be to get the best coverage possible at the best cost, not the least amount of coverage.
- Red Light Cameras (State Farm)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Fusion in Fort Wayne? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Chevrolet Equinox in Fort Wayne? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Hyundai Sonata in Fort Wayne? (FAQ)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)