Truthfully, the best way to quote cheaper auto insurance rates is to start comparing prices regularly from providers who provide car insurance in Fort Wayne.
- Take a little time to learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the factors you can control to prevent high rates. Many factors that drive up the price like getting speeding tickets and a low credit score can be eliminated by paying attention to minor details.
- Get rate quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from many different companies.
- Compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper price is available in Fort Wayne. If you find better rates and make a switch, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
One thing to point out is that you’ll want to make sure you compare identical limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get prices from as many companies as you can. This ensures a level playing field and a complete rate analysis.
Unfortunately, most consumers in Indiana have been with the same company for four years or more, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared rates with other companies. Consumers in the United States could save an average of roughly $859 each year just by comparing rates, but they think it’s difficult to save money by comparing rate quotes.
Auto insurance providers offering cheap price quotes in Indiana
The companies in the list below are ready to provide comparison quotes in Indiana. To find cheap auto insurance in Fort Wayne, it’s highly recommended you compare several of them in order to find the most competitive rates.
Insurance discounts are available to cut your rates
Car insurance companies don’t list every policy discount in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list a few of the more well known and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving when you buy Fort Wayne car insurance online.
- Driver Safety – Taking a class that teaches defensive driver techniques may get you a small discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Claim-free drivers are rewarded with significantly better rates on Fort Wayne car insurance quote in comparison to frequent claim filers.
- Accident Forgiveness – Not a discount per se, but a handful of insurance companies will allow you to have one accident without raising rates with the catch being you have to be claim-free before the accident.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying insurance for multiple cars with one company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Being a homeowner can earn you a little savings because it demonstrates responsibility.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you can combine your auto and home policy and place coverage with the same company they may give you a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Seat Belts Save – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to fasten their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks on medical payment and PIP coverage.
Keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like you could get a free insurance policy, insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any qualifying discounts will definitely reduce your policy cost.
A few popular companies and a partial list of their discounts are outlined below.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include youthful driver, teen driver, alternative fuel, pay in full, distant student, bundle discounts, and business and professional.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for accident-free, safe vehicle, anti-theft, passive restraint, and good student.
- Liberty Mutual has savings for good student, newly retired, exclusive group savings, new graduate, new vehicle discount, and multi-car.
- MetLife has discounts for good driver, multi-policy, good student, defensive driver, accident-free, claim-free
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including online signing, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, good student, continuous coverage, homeowner, and multi-policy.
Check with every company to apply every possible discount. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply to policyholders everywhere. To see insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in Fort Wayne, follow this link.
Buy More Affordable Auto Insurance with These Tips
When buying auto insurance it’s important to understand some of the things that come into play when calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. If you know what controls the rates you pay, this enables you to make decisions that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs. Many factors are taken into consideration when pricing auto insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, although some other factors are less obvious such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating.
- Lower premiums with theft deterrents – Owning a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can save you some money. Systems that thwart thieves like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all help stop vehicle theft.
- Keep the miles off and save – The more you drive in a year’s time the more you’ll pay to insure it. Many insurance companies charge rates based upon how you use the vehicle. Autos used primarily for pleasure use cost less to insure than cars that get driven a lot. It’s a good idea to make sure your auto insurance policy correctly shows the correct driver usage. A policy that improperly rates your XLR may be costing you higher rates.
- Good drivers pay less – A bad driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Just one speeding ticket may increase your cost substantially. Careful drivers have lower premiums as compared to those with violations. Drivers who have multiple tickets like DUI or willful reckless driving may face state-mandated requirements to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Insure your auto and home with one company – Most insurers will give a discount to insureds who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even though this discount sounds good, it’s still a good idea to comparison shop to guarantee you are still saving the most.
- Women tend to cost less – Over the last 30 years, statistics show that females tend to be a little less risky than males. However, this does not mean males are worse at driving than females. Both genders have fender benders in similar numbers, but males tend to have more serious accidents. They also get ticketed for serious violations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Teenage male drivers are several times more likely to be in an accident and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- Low credit rating equals high prices – Having a bad credit history is a big factor in calculating your premium rate. Therefore, if your credit leaves room for improvement, you could potentially save money when insuring your Cadillac XLR if you clean up your credit. People that have high credit scores tend to be better risks to insure as compared to drivers with bad credit.
Don’t assume everyone needs the same insurance coverage
Always keep in mind that when comparing proper insurance coverage, there really isn’t a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s needs are different and your policy should reflect that.
For example, these questions could help you determine if your situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Should I rate my Cadillac XLR as pleasure use or commute?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- How much will a speeding ticket raise my rates?
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Indiana?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- What are the liability requirements in my state?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Auto insurance quotes from neighborhood Fort Wayne auto insurance agents
Certain consumers just want to go talk to an agent and that is OK! An additional benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes and still have a local agent.
After completing this short form, the coverage information is sent to insurance agents in Fort Wayne who can give free rate quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You won’t even need to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered directly to your email. You can find the lowest rates and work with a local agent. If you wish to get a comparison quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you just need to search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
Picking the best company shouldn’t rely on just the premium amount. Here are some questions to ask:
- Where are claims handled?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Fort Wayne?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
Exclusive and independent Fort Wayne auto insurance agents
When searching for a reputable insurance agent or broker, it helps to know the two types of agencies that you can select. Auto insurance policy providers are considered either exclusive or independent.
Agents that elect to be exclusive generally can only insure with one company like AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. These agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive insurance agents receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage.
Shown below is a list of exclusive agencies in Fort Wayne who can help you get comparison quotes.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents do not write with just one company so as a result can place your coverage with many different companies and get you the best rates possible. To move your coverage to a new company, the business is moved internally and that require little work on your part. When comparing rate quotes, it’s a good idea to get some free quotes from several independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison.
The following are Fort Wayne independent insurance agencies that can give you price quote information.
Cover all your bases
A few companies may not have internet price quotes and usually these smaller providers provide coverage only through independent agencies. More affordable insurance in Fort Wayne can be sourced both online as well as from independent agents in Fort Wayne, so you should compare both to have the best selection.
While you’re price shopping online, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, an insured cut collision coverage only to regret at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The aim is to get the best coverage possible at the lowest possible cost, but do not skimp to save money.
To learn more, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
- Tools for Teen Driving Safety (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Government Employees in Fort Wayne? (FAQ)
- How Much are Fort Wayne Auto Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Wrangler? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Infrequent Drivers in Fort Wayne? (FAQ)
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)
- Determining Your Vehicle’s Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)